Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Weekend in Hawaii - Saturday 2

After diving, I went home and laid everything out to dry. I have been cleaning out stuff and I thought it would be a nice thing to take all the dried leas that our visitors have left behind and toss them to the ocean. I gathered them up as well as all the rocks I've collected this past year and a half, and headed out.
I decided to toss them at Spitting Cave.

This is the same place that my best friend Kevin, DeAnna and I were swept into the ocean at Spitting Cave last year. Kevin almost died and DeAnna and I both were struck at how fragile life can be. We visited Spitting Cave a few times since, but have never gone back down to the water like we did. When I arrived, the water was completely calm.

I paced out to the edge of the cliff and knelt down to toss the stuff into the water. I was struck by how blessed I was and how God had not only saved my life that day, but had changed my life in so many ways... I am awakened by the future that He lays before me.

I tossed each lei and they floated on the wind away from the cliff before eventually falling into the water. I thought of the kids, the parents and friends that graced our home while we were here. A lot of wonderful memories... Then I took the rocks and tossed them one by one recalling the time and place where I picked them up - Maui, Mauna Kea, Makapu'u, Kaneohe and more.

Then, as if God was telling me, "Enough, already!" a group of crazy immortals arrived and gathered around the cliff sides as a few guys prepared to jump into the water in front of the cave. I raised my camera and watched in disbelief as a guy jumped in.

Others followed and I watched for a few more minutes, but I honestly didn't want to see any more, so I left and went to hike one of my favorite locations, Makapu'u Point.

Makapu'u is where the Dragon's Nostrils are located. I did not hike to them today. DeAnna and I first hiked here with flipflops and no sunscreen or water. It gives fabulous views of the windward side of the island and always has a nice breeze. When I need to get away from the computer, this is a great place to come, walk and drink in some of the most beautiful scenery in Hawaii.

Up at the top are great views of the lighthouse. You can see Maui and Lanai and Molokai from the tallest platform. Of course, it's sometimes hard to get everything like that in the shot, so I just take satisfaction in getting a good shot to say, "I was here".

On the way down, the sun was starting to go behind the Ko'olau Mountains and the wind was getting cool. A last spot of sunshine afforded one more picture and my last Saturday activities were over. I went to a favorite local restaurant before heading home to get prepped for Sunday Diving activities and go to bed.

I am enjoying my last few days in Hawaii. Sure, I'm taking the same pictures I've taken over and over again, but it's a good way to cement in a memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home