Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Weekend in Hawaii - Saturday 1

I'm trying to make the most of the time I have left! Even as I get more and more excited about returning home, I'm not sitting still! So I got up early and - SURPRISE - went diving with the Sea Lancers dive club! After that, I went hiking on the Windward side.

Our first dive was to the Pinnacles. I was the first person down and got to see a lone spotted eagle ray. It was a deep dive and I bottomed out at 91 feet. When I first started diving, I thought deep dives would be different, but they are all pretty much the same if you don't think about the depth.

The pinnacles are a series of rock formations that rise 30 feet from from a sandy bottom, causing the current to flow in different directions. You can see how big they are in the picture. Unfortunately, it is deep and I couldn't stay down as long as I wanted. That's me swimming away from the camera...

I took many pictures and had a great time swimming around with our rather large group. One of them even offered to take my picture. They hadn't seen my nifty camera rig nor seen me goofing around using it, but it was nice and I got a good picture!


After the Pinnacles, we went to the "Diner". The current was very strong and we all had to constantly swim just to stay in place. There were tons of fish and they all seemed to want to mug for the camera. I tried to take a picture of me behind a large coral formation and the fish kept getting in the way!

Finally, I got the picture I wanted, but the current was taking a toll just trying to stay in place.A fish even got int he way of my one picture of a large shark later! The dive was 60 feet, but I was only able to stay down about 30 minutes because I used so much air. Was it fun? Of course! Everyone is planning to show up and do it again tomorrow, so I'll dry the stuff and be on the dock early Sunday morning! I'm planning to spend the afternoon somewhere else on Oahu like I did today. See the next post for my Saturday afternoon...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home