Monday, March 09, 2009

Solo Adventures

Now that DeAnna is in Virginia, I'm out here by myself. I try to keep scuba diving when it's possible. The weather this winter has actually been rather miserable. Rainy, cloudy, windy and cool (I'd say cold, but most of my mainland friends would laugh). The last two times I went scuba diving, the water temperature was 70 degrees. That is actually quite cold water! This weekend, it was overcast and raining as well, so after diving twice, my body temperature was low and I enjoyed a hot shower!

My camera doesn't go deeper than about 15 feet, so I don't get any neat pictures of my dives. However, I have begun to take my camera and little tripod on other 'above water' adventures.

The other weekend, I took a walk on Kailua Beach. I found the house that President Obama stayed at over Christmas. This is what it looks like from the beach. It has "Keep Out" signs on all the palm trees.

I put my camera tripod on my walking stick. That comes in very handy when there's nothing but sand. It also means that I can stick it into the sand to make a picture in the water!


This weekend, I took a hike along the cliffs of Makapuu point. Normally, I hike up the road and then descend to the lava shelves at the water, but this way, I was able to enjoy the rough waves and wild water up close. I enjoyed being "off the grid", away from my computer and work.

The hike was along the water's edge. Sometimes I had to climb along the cliffs in order to stay safely above the water. My goal was to hike along the shore to the Dragon's Nostrils, but found that I couldn't get there without getting right down to the water, so I turned around.

After backtracking a while, I decided to climb straight up the cliff to the trail. There were several whales off shore, the raging ocean, strong breezes and wonderful views of the eastern shore - a great way to wrap up the weekend!




It's awfully quiet by myself. Time to reflect. Time to work and finish up my contract in Hawaii. While I remain, I hope to take advantage of everything Oahu has to offer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home