Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter In Hawaii

How do Hawaiians spend Easter? Well, mostly like everywhere else with a bigger emphasis on family get togethers...

First, churches hold sunrise services at the beach where many people are baptized. I watched two of these churches (while attending one) at the beach in joyful celebration as new Christians were being added to the church. I lost count around 25 or so...

It was a beautiful windless, surfless, cloudless day, but it was hard to hear the music or preaching. I must confess it was not a good place for folks with ADD - way too many distractions - but I just enjoyed being there.

Of course, it's a great time to take in a sunrise hike to the nearby Lanikai Ridge. It's one of my favorite places to go for a quick hike. It's always pretty with views of the Ko'olau mountains, Molulea Islands and beautiful Kailua beach!

My nifty camera/tripod provides proof of my presence, but it doesn't give you the feeling of being there. Still, when you end up with a picture like this, you might get a small sense of how much I'll miss this location!

I saw many Easter egg hunts at the beach where large day-long family gatherings at various beaches are the order of the day (you can see the open moving van at the back end of the setup).

Here, a family showed up at sunrise and got BBQ pits, tents, a dance floor and PA system, as well as napping tents, all manner of food and beach toys ready for the rest of the extended family. When I passed by them on the way back from the hike, the kids had already done their Easter egg hunt and were trading basket contents.

I was invited to join a large gathering of friends at a small farm house near Ka'ena point. The "house" was actually a collection of small buildings, so a large table was set under a tree outdoors.


Though I did not know anyone (I'm piggybacked off of Fred & Holly from work), it was like home with Christians from around the world (really) all gathered on Oahu at this tiny place far away from everyone else.

Like I said... it was at a farm...






Even though it was Easter, it was the weekend, so I got in some diving! I'm including a couple of movies instead of more pictures. They are pretty much self-explanatory. I have many, many more pictures and movies... If you want more, just let me know...




It's been a great weekend away from the computer, away from work and away from the phone. It's now three weeks before I return home to Virginia. There's a lot yet to do at work and, of course, a lot more to do on the weekends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home