Thursday, October 30, 2008

First Days In Anchorage

Man, it's good to be in Alaska! Lows around 10 degrees and highs below freezing... I have no heavy coat and had to buy a hat to keep from shivering as I walk around the block to a restaurant, but it is so great to be here and be in the cold!

Anchorage is beautifully framed by snow-covered mountains and there's a light dusting of snow in shady spots. The sun only gets about "two fists" above the horizon, but slides along all day long. I love seeing my breath in the cold air again. As we drive to Fort Richardson, the salt dust hovers along the interstate. Last night, the Aurora Borealis was out (though I didn't see it from my hotel window). Everyone I have met is as friendly as the midwest and though I have no real use for cold weather gear right now, it's great to walk through the shops.

You may think I'm crazy... maybe I am just stir crazy... I love Hawaii for all it is and I love Alaska for all Hawaii isn't. I fly back on Friday afternoon, but already I know I'd like to return sometime. What a place.... :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home