Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Quiet Anniversary Weekend

Stacey and her friends are gone now and the apartment is back to a quiet state. It was fun having them here and taking them places. For the most part, the girls all seemed to have a good time and got along very well. Over the week they managed to rent ocean kayaks and get sunburned. They went shopping at the Aloha flea market, visited the Waikiki night life, climbed Diamond Head and visited Kailua Beach a number of times. On their last day, we all jogged down to the beach and took some pictures of the sunrise.

They have returned to ice and snow and Daylight Savings Time. We remain unaffected by any of those things... not much incentive to worry about it when the weather is always sunny and bright and warm. You know that I love severe weather, so when I hear about missing some of the worst winter weather in a decade, I console myself by going snorkeling every week. This assignment will not last forever...

I used to wonder what it would be like to be free of the concerns of having and managing "stuff". Maintaining things, replacing things, buying, selling and trading stuff. I have bought some stuff here, but not much - mostly snorkeling gear. Everything before me belongs to someone else. The table and chairs; the couch and TV; the carpet, stove, washing machine and pictures on the wall all are things I use but do not own. Even the bed, sheets and pillows are not mine.

It's been 6 months since I left Minnesota and left behind all a household of "stuff". Last September 9th, it was also a Sunday before my flight out on Monday morning. Before this assignment ends, chances are that I will only be back in Minnesota for a brief stay when Kevin gets married in June. There are some things I miss about my old life...
-> I miss my shiny new Prius that I owned for only 2 weeks before I came here - but I've been able to drive many different types of cars while driving in Hawaii.
-> I miss good, solid BBQ (specifically Famous Dave's BBQ) that was just down the street - but I've eaten so many interesting and delicious Asian foods since I've been here in Hawaii.
-> I miss Toastmaster's club and many of my friends at Seagate - but I've been able to make new friends and work on things that have a different purpose than the bottom line while working for the Army.
-> I miss kicking around with friends and the hot-tub ministry with Kevin - but I've been able to do many more things with DeAnna while I've been here in Hawaii.
-> I missed the fall colours, frosty air and snowy winter (I know most of you think I'm crazy). I will also miss the severe weather of spring (remember crazy?) - but the consistent weather here has allowed me to explore the outdoor wonders of Hawaii.

What blessings I have been given! I will continue my busy week tomorrow after a quiet, relaxing weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home