Saturday, February 23, 2008

Olomana

As I write this, I have rested for a few hours and have a better perspective on what we have accomplished today. We have ascended Olomana and returned! It was much more difficult than I ever imagined it would be...

Olomana stands relatively close to the center of the ancient Koolau caldera. It is a thick stack of horizontal lava flows which were shaped by circulating hot water and steam while the caldera was still molten and active. The translation of the Hawaiian name is roughly "divided hill" because there are actually three peaks - as you can see from this picture I took from our rooftop lanai. The tallest peak is 1,643 feet and is accessible by an ascending 1 1/2 mile trail.

The first quarter mile is done on the paved road that leads to the Olomana Golf & Country Club. You can see the first - and highest - summit (the only one we targeted on this hike). The day was bright and sunny with a hint of a cool breeze. The trail was dry and clouds were few.

Turning onto the trailhead, the hike quickly becomes a dirt trail laced with roots and rocks. We passed a large Banyon tree after about 100 yards and the rest of the trail got steeper and steeper as we ascended toward the summit.







Most of the time, the trail looks like hiking through any wooded area. At about 1,000 feet up (a mile or so distance), the "trail" becomes more of a climb. Fortunately, there are a few spots where people have lashed ropes to help.

You can see that close to the top, we spent a good deal of time climbing rocks and trees to get higher. We stopped frequently to rest and drink our water. As we rested, a man came bounding up and passed us. He was a trail runner who "hikes" this trail every weekend for fun and exercise!


W climbed continuously for an hour or so and reached a spot near the top that was just too much for DeAnna's strained muscles and blistered feet. A 15 foot climb straight up an exposed cliff using someone's rope. DeAnna decided to stay, but I thought I'd give it a try. We were so close to the top and I didn't go that far to get stumped without a try, so I grabbed the rope and began to climb.



A few minutes later, I emerged to a narrow trail along the edge with cliffs dropping off on both sides. Balancing along this trail, I had to scramble up some more rocks before reaching the topmost rock and the absolute summit! I stood for a while in the windless sunlight. It was absolutely glorious!

Since I was the only person at the top, I set up the self-timer on my camera timer and took a picture. After that, I tried to take a short move of the narrow trail that leads back down! So enjoy the panoramic view from the top of Olamana and a short video of walking the trail back down from the top.




What adventures await in the weeks to come? We're deciding. I have ordered inflatable snorkeling vests These vests can be inflated with two puffs of air allowing you to float and relax while swimming. I will feel a lot safer swimming and snorkeling at beaches where I haven't been before so this will open up some new targets of opportunity in the weeks to come. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home