Tuesday, January 08, 2008

New Year's First Entry

Now that the big Holiday season is over, I realize it's been 3 weeks since I made an entry. This entry won't be very satisfying, but at least it's an indication that I'm still around. I have a couple of pictures that I'll post soon, but here are a few headlines:

Christmas Break
DeAnna and I went to the mainland over Christmas break. Long before I took this job at GeorgeGroup, we were planning to have DeAnna's kids out for Christmas to Minnesota. Since that wasn't going to happen, we modified our plans to visit Seattle instead. After that visit, we went to Dallas for my annual company meeting and then have returned home to Hawaii. That is still a strange thing to say - "home to Hawaii"...

New Camera
My old camera (which was less than 1 year old) was suffering from several months of rough handling and salt water, so I got a new Olympus Stylus 790 SW. Aside from the ease of use, this camera is waterproof down to 10 feet, shock proof and freeze proof! Watch for some interesting new pictures such as this panoramic shot of Seattle which is stitched together from several smaller shots.


More Deployment Information
As I gather more information about my assignment here in Hawaii, it is becoming clear that I am likely to stay here longer than the original 6-month commitment. That may open up additional possibilities in the fall of 2008, but for now, it looks like I'll be here at least through the summer.

DeAnna Volunteers At Hospital
DeAnna has officially started volunteering at the Castle Medical Center here in Kailua. She has a nifty uniform and is fitting-in nicely.

New Car
OK, not actually a new car - but a new rental. This makes the fifth 'different' car I've had since September 15th. Some cars have been great and others have been dogs, but it's interesting to try and drive so many different vehicles!

MUST-HAVE Travel Items
Just a couple of items that every airport traveler absolutely must have: Travel Socks (makes an amazing difference in your energy and comfort during and after your flight) I have noted a remarkable difference in how good I feel after a long flight when wearing these socks. I recommend the padded socks. Quiet Time foam ear plugs (blocks out the cabin noise and keeps your attitude fresh) I've tried several and the purple foam plugs are much better than the others. If you wear noise-canceling ear phones, you can hear your music without ANY jet noise or crying babies during your flight. They also help reduce the ear-piercing volume of the flight attendant and captain announcements.

I'll have more of a post in the days to come. Until then, it's nice to be home... home in Hawaii!

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 08, 2008, Blogger Jessica said...

Finally an update!

I don't have the Travelsox brand, but I do have some compression socks now that I really, really like. Should come in handy for my long flight today!

 
At Wednesday, January 09, 2008, Blogger mrmacksback!! said...

I have to admit, that panoramic shot of the Seattle bay area is pretty amazing! I guess that camera is not that bad... Keep it up! This is a cool page!

 
At Saturday, July 25, 2020, Blogger Robinsen Clerk said...

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home