Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Storms & Blizzards

I've been reading about the single-digit temperatures in Minnesota. I've been reading about ice storms in Oklahoma and I've been reading about blizzards in the Midwest. You'd think I'm laughing because I'm here in sunny Hawaii... well, you'd be right about that, but it doesn't mean we aren't having weather!

Over the past two weeks, we've had blizzard warnings on Mauna Kea. Astronomers were stranded while the roads down the mountains were snowed-over. The next day, continuing storms blew ice over the roads and closed the observatory roads. Astronomers were stuck at the bottom and the top!

However, the big story was the most intense storms in over 25 years! Here is a picture of the storm front that blew through December 5th. It's almost worthy of Gary England in Oklahoma... There were flash flood warnings, wind advisories and traffic emergencies. This huge storm system (also responsible for bad weather in Washington State and the midwest US) moved through the Pacific across Hawaii. There was lots of rain and wind, but this last Wednesday it got really intense. Almost the entire island experienced power outages. We lost power most of Wednesday and Thursday. There have been flash floods and downed trees, sheets of rain, washed out roads, landslides and school closings!

The night that this storm came through, there were power outages all over the island. When our power went out, we opened the windows to let the breeze through. When I woke up the next morning, I found that a picture frame had been blown off the wall and shattered the glass.
But all of this was not as devastating as the silted water along the beaches. After all, cloudy water really inhibits snorkeling and body surfing (although kite boarding, wind surfing and above water activities are OK.). Nor was the pain of power outages as intense as the pain of Internet outages - which lasted longer. The weather even delayed the Super Ferry, but that didn't seem to bother too many people..

We've decorated for Christmas. DeAnna brought our stained-glass tree. I bought a string of lights from Wal-Mart. The association doesn't seem to permit outdoor decorations, so we decorated lfurniture... I keep looking, but there are no presents under the tree yet.

The newest addition to our holiday display is a tiny LED tree (made for a snow village) and a Peanuts ornament with Linus reciting Luke saying "and that's the reason for Christmas, Charlie Brown." These things are on top of the TV in the bedroom. When the LEDs twinkle, they throw light on the walls. It's more entertaining than the TV!

Lastly, I'm including one more picture and a little story. The other weekend, I went back to hike the Ka'iwa ridge by myself (note the change in graffiti - the bunker is now painted yellow)! It was just before the big rains of the week. I wanted to get a picture of myself hiking the ridge, so I set the timer on the camera. The trail was a little muddy and as I was running down the ridge to get positioned for the picture, I slipped. To my right is a cliff that drops off about 200 feet. I decided not to worry about how the picture came out, but it came out interesting (if you know the story).

My little digital camera is having trouble these days - possibly due to salt water, sand and heat - so we may be getting a new camera for Christmas. I'm always good for upgrading technology! Watch for more stunning pictures in future BLOG posts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home